My mission is to create a classroom of lifelong learners that feel comfortable expressing themselves in the ever-changing world. I will maintain an open-door policy, provide guidance, and always listen when they seek advice.

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

The GAME Plan for Integrating WebQuests into the Classroom

The GAME plan is a method for teachers to use when practicing self-directed learning for integrating technology into the classroom (Laureate Education Inc., 2009). Self-directed learners teach themselves to use new technologies that can be transferred into the classroom to help motivate and encourage students. The GAME plan is broken into four main components: goals (what you want to learn), action (what you do to learn), monitor (am I learning what I wanted), and evaluate (did I accomplish my goal) (2009).

The International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE) has developed a set of standards for teachers to observe and practice while integrating technology into the classroom (http://www.iste.org/standards/nets-for-teachers/nets-for-teachers-2008.aspx). My GAME plan is focusing on learning how to implement a WebQuest in a Sophomore English class with the novel To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (1960). Two major standards that the ISTE (2008) has developed that will be a part of my focus are: “design or adapt relevant learning experiences that incorporate digital tools and resources to promote student learning and creativity” and “provide students with multiple and varied formative and summative assessments aligned with content and technology standards and use resulting data to inform learning and teaching.” Focusing on these two standards will allow me to integrate technology into the classroom and allow variation of assessments for different types of learners within my classroom.

As for implementing my GAME plan, my goal is to become proficient with creating a WebQuest with linked podcasts. I have created class webpages in the past, but I have never created a WebQuest. I feel that integrating the use of a WebQuest into the class will not only engage students but motivate their learning (Cennamo et al., 2009). I also feel that a WebQuest would allow students to work at an advanced or slower pace based on their needs as a learner. A WebQuest is comprised of five basic components, “an introduction, a statement of intended outcomes, steps students should follow, evaluatin criteria, and concluding activities (p. 55).

The actions I have taken so far are to view sample WebQuests on the Internet and gather data and work from my current unit plan to include on my WebQuest webpage. My next steps are to begin investigating various website hosts and how I want to publish my work and if I can connect my WebQuest to my school webpage. I have never created a podcast before, but I think it would be great to have links to the audio tape of the text as well as podcasts of study review tips. I have started to test using Audacity as a way to create podcasts.

So far in monitoring my work, I have not accomplished the main parts of my objective which are to publish information to the web, specifically in the form of a WebQuest. I have also played around with podcasting, but have not created and published a podcast. My next step will be to obtain a web host and publish an initial podcast to that site. Lastly, when it comes to evaluating the work I have started, I have most of the content that I need to create my WebQuest and the information for creating my podcast so I have to increase my confidence and go forth and create a product my students can begin using in the classroom.

I am looking forward to implementing my GAME plan to increase student productivity in my classroom. If anyone has created a WebQuest of Podcast before and has any tools or tips that would help, I would appreciate the advice.

Sources:

Cennamo, K., Ross, J. & Ertmer, P. (2009). Technology Integration for Meaningful Classroom Use: A Standards-Based Approach. (Laureate Education, Inc., Custom ed.). Belmont, CA: Wadsworth, Cengage Learning.

Laureate Education, Inc. (Producer). (2009). Program 1: Promoting self-directed learning with technology [DVD]. In Integrating technology across the content areas. Baltimore, MD: Author.

Lee, Harper. (1960). To Kill a Mockingbird. New York, NY: Harper Classics.

10 comments:

  1. Ellen,

    Creating and implementing a webquest for my classes remains a goal for me as well. I don't really know where to start but have heard many enjoy utilizing them in class.

    In a previous class, we were required to post a podcast to our blogs. I had a difficult time with Audacity since it was blocked at our school. I ended up using a flip camera and held a picture in front so that you just heard my voice. It wasn't the most ideal way to do this but it was all I could do. Now I know that I may as well just create a voicethread in the future.

    Good luck with you "quest" for webquests.

    Charlene

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have recently finished a web quest which required my students to rewrite the ending to “The Giver” novel by Lois Lowery. I have found that web quests are a very effective and motivating tool to use in the classroom. This tool allows students to be engaged in the learning process. On a well designed web quest, students have all of the necessary directions and tools to complete the project at their finger tips. Students are motivated by a sense of independence and teachers serve in the roll of facilitator.

    Having a small background in web design I was very comfortable preparing a web quest for my class. An added bonus is that my students thought it was very “cool” that I knew how to design a webpage. However, if you do not have a background in html, you can still build an effective site. Using the Microsoft Front Page software, designing a really neat site is as easy as typing a word document. This program also provides great help tools if you wish to expand your web development tools. Additionally, a lot of great web quests can be found on the web and implemented in your classroom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When you create your WebQuest for To Kill a Mockingbird, what will you focus on for the novel? Will you section off the site by literary analysis, historical information, and analysis of each main character? This might help spread the workload for your students and allow them to feel not only ownership of the website, but also they will feel as if they have made a worthwhile contribution. The quality of the information will also provide a means of the student's comprehension of the material and how well they cite the information.

    As for podcasting, you can link a podcast to your WebQuest for To Kill a Mockingbird and have the students deliver their information orally. They can use Audacity to add in introductory music and soundbites from interviews with the cast and crew or from the film to help strengthen their arguments. You should be able to link the podcast from iTunes. If not, you can have your students post the podcast on YouTube and link from there (they will need to save the file as an .avi and provide a picture for the duration of the podcast).

    As for creating your own podcast, you can just create a basic one that introduces you to the students and cite what materials they will be using for the school year. This will be a great way to get comfortable with the technology and the students will be more confident as they see that you know how to use basic technology (most of whom may not be able to create).

    Good luck with your GAME plan.

    Shawn Metz

    ReplyDelete
  4. When you create your Webquest for To Kill a Mockingbird, what will you focus on for the novel? Will you section off the site by literary analysis, historical information, and an analysis of each main character? This might help spread the workload for your students and allow them to feel not only ownership of the website, but also they will feel as if they have made a worthwhile contribution. The quality of the information will also provide a means of assessing the student's comprehension of the material and how well the cite the information.

    As for podcasting, you can link a podcast to your WebQuest for To Kill a Mockingbird and have the students deliver their information orally. They can use Audacity to add in introductory music and soundbites from interviews with the cast and cre or from the film to help strengthen their arguments. You should be able to link the podcast from iTunes. If not, you can have your students post the podcast of YouTube and link from there (they will need to save the files as AVI and provide a picture for the duration of the podcast).

    As for creating your own podcast, you can just create a basic one that introduces you to the students and cite what materials they will be using for the school year. This will be a great way to get comfortable with the technology and the students will be more confident as they see that you know how to use basic technology.

    Gook luck with your Game plan!

    Shawn

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you have a great idea and should pursue you initiative of integrating Webquests into your lessons. Any time that you can incorporate technology into your lessons you are advancing student knowledge and better preparing them for a future where technology is paramount. In addition you are supporting the idea of students as creative thinkers, self-directed, autonomous learners. “They are able to set their own educational goals, manage their own learning, and assess their progress. Students then need our support while in the process of becoming self-directed learners” (Cennamo, Ross, Ertmer, pg. 83, 2009). While you see the value of exposing students to real world issues the use of digital tools will support authentic problem solving skills.

    While I have had little experience with Webquests, I have incorporatee a classroom blog this year. The only downfall so far has been keeping up with it while taking classes at Walden, lesson planning, grading, parenting, and the like. I would suggest using Wordpress as a free site to host your classroom blog. The only cost was twenty dollars per year to upload mp3 files. I do this to put audio files of narrated stories on the blog so students can listen to the week’s lesson from home. I also like, and use, Audacity to support audio creation and manipulation. I think that you will like the feedback you get from parents and students alike using and following your blog. It has also been a forum for presenting works that the students have created as well as sharing links to sites of interest and information of coming events. If you wish to see mine it is at http://mrlavanway.wordpress.com/ though always a work in progress.

    Resources:
    Cennamo, K., Ross, J. & Ertmer, P. (2009). Technology Integration for Meaningful Classroom Use: A Standards-Based Approach. (Laureate Education, Inc., Custom ed.). Belmont, CA: Wadsworth, Cengage Learning.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ellen,

    I too have struggled with the idea of creating web quest type assessments to supplement classroom learning. I am leery of turning students loose with al the technology at their fingertips, and I feel like sometimes the results are too unpredictable. I would ask you if you had any ideas about how to make the results more predictable and and more showing of content learning? I am getting ready to take a maiden voyage in having students create a web page on the development of the atomic model and those that played an important role in each phase. I look forward to hearing from you.
    Jeremy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Charlene- The idea of using a flip camera ia a good idea. I have access to those at my school, because like you I think Audacity is blocked at my school.

    Miss Hampton- thanks for suggesting Microsoft Front Page, I am not familiar with it, but I am certainly going to check it out.

    Mr. Metz- I am planning to focus on the trial of Tom Robison in my webquest, and then have assessment choices for the whole novel. I contemplated setting up different WebQuests for different groups but I am not sure that will happen in the time frame I am looking at.

    Lance- Thanks for sharing your website- it looks great! Is your blog not blocked at school? All blog-like sites are blocked on our campus except Classchatter.com, so I may try to use that site.

    Jeremy- I think that there is always unpredictability in all lessons, but I like to think modeling helps students become more successful and also starting with baby steps on the internet will allow my students to be more comfortable and successful.

    ~Ellen Kehs

    ReplyDelete
  10. I believe that web quests do make students more motivated to learn because they are having direct experience with it by using technology and they are constantly engaged in the information. Even though you did not keep your original plan, it seems that you have made great strides to completing your goals. How did you go about creating the website for your web quest? I am interested in doing the same for my classroom.

    ReplyDelete