My goal: Learn how to create and implement using a WebQuest in Sophomore English for To Kill a Mockingbird
How effective were your actions in helping you meet your goals?
I have been working hard on developing my WebQuest, and need to add the websites that students will use to complete the WebQuest. Once I add these additional sites I will be ready to launch the WebQuest with my class.
What have you learned so far that you can apply in your instructional practices?
Trial and error is definitely a skill that I tell my students it acceptable. I have added more technology elements to the task I am having students work on, which I had not tried to incorporate before in this type of final unit project. I would still like to have students learn how to create their own websites, and I am hoping that I can have some advanced students tackle web design so that they can help other students in years to come.
What do you still have to learn? What new questions have arisen?
I think that I am comfortable with the adaptations I have made for my WebQuest, but I am going to try making another one using a site my students cannot access, just to try to see if it is easier using a template and if I can put better information into the WebQuest. I sometimes wonder if my WebQuest is challenging enough for my students and utilizes the internet enough.
How will you adjust your plan to fit your current needs?
I have already adjusted my plans by eliminating the podcasting element, because I feel that was a separate entity I was trying to make connect. I think that I will try to implement that next year with test taking strategies that I will post on my school website. I also decided that despite comments from my colleages about perhaps using an easier site to navigate, I will still use my school website to be the server for my WebQuest. I had a few lower level students test the ease of the site and they were comfortable with what had been developed because they were use to the format. I may try to convince my technology department within the district to open websites next year that would allow more outside web development for teachers and students to access.
Ellen,
ReplyDeleteIt appears that you have sucessfully worked through most of the issues of your WebQuest. Your GAME plan is certainly streamlined and it sounds as if the trial period is working out. Using the school website is a good idea. It will create an association with the school so the students will realize that your WebQuest is an educational experience. Most students, sadly, still see the internet as a "toy" so keeping the WebQuest linked to your school website will help eliminate that perception.
It was a good idea to drop the podcast. It sounded like it was as too much and just did not jell with your GAME plan.
Good luck,
Shawn
"I have already adjusted my plans by eliminating the podcasting element, because I feel that was a separate entity I was trying to make connect."
ReplyDeleteEllen,
I think saving the podcasting for another day was a wise decision. When introducing new technology to the students I have found that it is smart to take it slow. Not only do I not want to overwhelm them, but I also do not want to overwhelm myself. Good luck in getting your tech department to open up some more websites. It seems like everyday at my school there is another website blocked by the filter. I tend to believe that censorship by school security measures will be the single most difficult thing to deal with when planning for technology integration at my school. I wish you luck and am looking forward to seeing how things turn out for you.
Brandon
Ellen,
ReplyDeleteYou have definitely dedicated much time and effort to developing your "To Kill a Mockingbird" Webquest. I would love to view your finished product. Did you design it from scratch utilizing resources found through the Internet, or did you model yours off of an existing Webquest? I am really interested in employing a Webquest in my reading loop class. However, I have not found one that I liked well enough yet. Have you found any sites dedicated to reading Webquests?
Additionally, you mentioned that you would like to have your students create their own webpages in the future. Would this be in correlation with the Webquest or a separate technology project?
Congratulations on nearing the end of your Webquest goal!
Casi Houck
Ellen,
ReplyDeleteYou sure do sound like you have been working hard on developing your webquest; good for you! I just updated an older webquest I have for the novel, Of Mice and Men. What I did was to go back to all the websites I had to make sure they were still there before launching it. The first webquest was made by a teacher who is no longer there, so I wanted to make sure everything was still applicable, and I am sure glad I did this because two of the websites were no longer in existence! You mentioned how you wonder if your webquest is challenging enough for your students. Make sure that when you offer your students the websites for the webquest that they cannot access the information on the very first page of the websites. Have it where they must use other links to find the information or else it is too easy. For example, on my webquest for OMM, they have to define specific vocabulary words, so they are guided to the website, but then they have to click on various links to find the definitions. Boy do they moan and groan, but you want them to search, and be able to utilize the tools that are offered. Make them think a little. They want everything to pop up and be right at their fingertips. They just want to throw those websites to the curb and use Google! Don’t let them do it! Of course they will be able to find some of the information with just a click of the mouse, but not all of it. Also, put in questions where they are forced to infer from the information they have found. For example, my students had to find information on the author, John Steinbeck, and after they found the information I wanted them to find, I asked this question-Does this (information) influence his novels in any way? Also, after I have gotten my students to discover the kind of work Steinbeck did while growing up, I then ask them-How might this have influenced his writing? If you ask them to list any information, make sure they “describe” it too. A big part of my webquest had to do with finding information on The Great Depression, since OMM takes place during this time in history, so I also include a website where they can view photographs of this period in time, and then I ask them to describe their general impression of the photographs. They really enjoy this part, and for an extension of this activity, I break them up into groups and they have to answer specific questions about one photograph. I just did this last week, and the kids really like getting up and putting their picture on the overhead and asking the class about it. For example, they might ask the class-what is going on in this picture? You sound like you are headed in the right direction. Believe me, I am far from an expert on webquests, but if I can be of any further assistance, just let me know.
Jeff F to Ellen –
ReplyDeleteYour GAME plan is definitely coming along with Web Quest! Using literature with the use of Web Quest will allow your students to be creative, engaged, motivated, and utilize their critical thinking skills. Using trial and error is taking a proactive role in being a self directed learner. This is one skill I would suggest to you to model to your students. In my opinion, I see very few students that have this skill in my class this year. Above all, you definitely have great focus on your GAME plan with Web Quest and literature. Keep up the great work and focus.
Jeff
Ellen,
ReplyDeleteThe WebQuest on “To Kill a Mockingbird” sounds like an impressive project that students will remember. This is a rich novel with great themes and symbols to incorporate into the WebQuest. Of course, racism is the most tangible theme in the novel. This would be easy to tie into the work of MLK, Rosa Parks, or even Gandhi. The symbolism of birds like the mockingbird and the finch could be investigated further in the WebQuest. By knowing the characteristics of these birds in nature, your students will be able to understand the characters they represent better. Finally, the scene where Atticus Finch shoots the rapid dog sticks out in my memory. I think this comments on the dangers of sick ideologies in our culture. Perhaps you can tie this into the WebQuest as well. Keep up the good work!
Russell Dysart
Ellen,
ReplyDeleteI to have to make adjustments to my game plan, because I have to find better ways to help the students maintain focus on the long term goal of the technology usage. The web pages turned out better than expected but when the people were brought up in conversation, the students had lost focus on what they even had researched. It was frustrating.
Jeremy